Sound off: The Torch’s plans for the 2020 holiday season

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Lights are hung up along the Mag Mile, Macy’s is decked out in holiday decor, and the Chicago Christmas Tree towers over
Millennium Park. With winter break quickly approaching, we asked the Torch team about their plans for a COVID Christmas—or whatever holiday they’re celebrating.

Photo courtesy of NeONBRAND on Unsplash.

A trip back home by Jules Banks 

As an out-of-state student, the pandemic has made it incredibly difficult for me to return back to my hometown of Columbia, Missouri at the same rate that I usually would. Christmas is my chance to kick back and relax with my family, with no finals, work, or other stressors muddling my holiday time. My usually large family is deciding against a big in-group hangout Christmas morning. Instead, we’ll be seeing each other over Zoom. Although that will be bittersweet, being able to make cookies with my parents and give my brother and sister their gifts in-person is really the only thing I asked for this Christmas anyway. 

Getting to know my PlayStation 5 by Mohammad Samra

I held my PlayStation 5 for the first time on Nov. 28, but have barely had the time to play it due to my 60 to 70 hour work weeks with a full-time student schedule on the side.  As the semester comes to an end and my work schedule returns to a more manageable 30 to 40 hours a week, I’ll be able to get better acquainted with the system that millions of gamers have been trying to get their hands on. I can’t wait for the nights where I’m playing until the sun comes up, without a care in the world. 

Christmas movies galore by Ayumi Davis

“The Grinch Who Stole Christmas,” “The Polar Express,” “The Santa Clause” and many more are on my list to watch and enjoy with a cup of hot chocolate this break. Watching Christmas movies during Christmas just amplifies the cheer and joy around the season and watching it with family will make it even better. And with a movie going, I can still be moving, so baking cookies, decorating and such activities while watching is so much fun! My favorite is “Home Alone,” the antics of little Kevin McCallister always putting a smile to my face. Plus, he lived out every kid’s dream of being home alone with the whole house at their disposal! 

Making the best of a 2020 Christmas by Amanda Landwehr

Chicago is one of, if not the best city to celebrate Christmas in. But like everything else this year, the holiday season feels a bit…strange. One of my favorite holiday traditions is seeing the Chritsmas tree lighting ceremony in Millennium Park. The show still went on in 2020, but surprise! It was adapted into a virtual event. I also love walking around amidst the excitement of the Christkindlmarket, but once again—it was moved online. However, I’m thankful that the Lincoln Park Zoolights and the Magnificent Mile will still shine this season, and will certainly visit with friends before I head home to Minnesota for winter break.

Doing as little as possible by Adnan Basic

Like many other students, this semester was one of the toughest I’ve ever had. Zoom classes are way harder to focus in, and my work ethic has crashed as a result. Getting any sort of assignment done has been a struggle, but thankfully I won’t have to worry about that over winter break. My goal over the course of the next month is to do as little thinking as possible, giving my brain a break of its own before the spring semester starts up in January. I don’t celebrate Christmas, so there’s nothing to worry about in terms of planning for that, while New Years will be a vibe even if family and friends cannot visit due to the circumstances. No thoughts, head empty.

Photo courtesy of Andyone on Unsplash.

Categories: RUTORCH, Staff

Tags: ,