A few parting words

By Lauren Grimaldi
Editor-in-Chief

Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 8.10.05 AM

Photo by Billy Montgomery 

When I entered Roosevelt in 2014, I didn’t know that I would be able to accomplish so much within my four years here. In fact, I wasn’t sure of what to expect at all. Because I knew I’d be commuting for all four years, I worried that finding my true path here would be tough.

I was apprehensive about college in general, but the first few weeks were the worst. I struggled with knowing if I was in the right place, and even worried that college might not be the right path for me. It seems silly now as I prepare to graduate having done more here than I ever could have imagined, but I still remember that fear of failure perfectly. It came back off and on throughout my time here, but I know now that those struggles were worth it.

Reflecting on all of this, I can say with confidence that choosing to come to Roosevelt was one of the best decisions I’ve made with my life. I also know that I could not have done this without the support of my parents and family for making me who I am today. I would not have been able to survive college without all of you.

I have formed meaningful relationships with classmates and professors here that I know I wouldn’t have gotten anywhere else. These are bonds that I am eternally grateful for and ones that I hope continue on long after I graduate.

The professors at Roosevelt are truly one of a kind. When people ask me about Roosevelt, I tell them about all of the amazing professors I’ve had during my time here. There are so many people that I could thank for helping form who I am today as each person I’ve had the privilege of being taught by helped me grow.

Thank you to David Faris who helped me become a better student in so many ways over the past few years by offering his advice and support. I would not be the critical thinker I am today without his challenging courses and encouragement.

I’d also like to thank Bethany Barratt who helped me realize that there is more to the world than the western suburbs of Chicago when I traveled with her and classmates to London in a study abroad course last fall making for a truly life changing experience.

Jeannine Love, one of the first professors I had here, is another wonderful person at this university that I am forever grateful for. She is also a huge inspiration for many people inside of this school and out, including myself.

I also must extend thanks to Marjorie Jolles whose captivating lectures and classes helped me immensely. While I did not have much room in my schedule for courses outside of my major and minor, I made a point to try to fit her classes into my semester because of how enjoyable they are.

I am forever thankful to the communications department and my journalism professors as well. John Fountain taught me what it means to be a true reporter that goes beyond their comfort zone to tell the story. Linda Jones also helped enhance my writing and reporting skills by challenging me to think critically about sources and interviews.

Billy Montgomery, our student media advisor, has been instrumental in helping me become a better Editor-in-Chief as this year has gone on. All Torch staffers past and present owe him a huge thank you for the work he does to help keep us afloat.

It was an honor to be the Editor-in-Chief of the Torch and I hope that the newspaper can build off of what we’ve accomplished for years to come.

I’m sure that there are people I forgot to mention in this and for that I apologize. But to those I list here and those I failed to mention, I want to extend one final thank you. I hope that I can achieve enough to one day make you as proud of me as I am grateful for each and every one of you.

As I look ahead towards my career and future education, I will take the lessons I learned at Roosevelt with me wherever I go and in everything that I do. The people that make up this university make it a special place to be. That is what I will remember and miss most about my undergraduate experience.

Categories: Opinion, Recent Posts

Tags: , , ,

1 reply

Trackbacks

1. Hello again! | Continuity With Change