Roosevelt University hosts second annual American Dream Conference

By Brennan Sullivan, Contributing Reporter

imgres

Photo Courtesy of Roosevelt University

The 2nd annual American Dream Conference begins September 11. The summit brings together prominent members of society from varying professions and jurisdictions, to create a conversation on what might beour most unifying conviction- the American Dream.
Topics such as immigration, health care policy and the concept of equality will be explored, with the aim to better understand what the American Dream looks like today.

Some of the invited guests at this year’s conference include former advisor to President Obama, David Axelrod, professors from Harvard and the University of Chicago, the President of the American Medical Association, and the Chief Economist for the state of Illinois, Hans Zigmund.

The leading speaker of the conference is Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the second female ever to hold this title.

“A Conversation with Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg” will be held in the Auditorium Theatre from 7:00-8:15 p.m. on September 11 where Ginsburg will answer questions sent in by Roosevelt students.

Director of Public Relations, Laura Janota, said that Justice Ginsburg’s attendance at the conference has brought significant attention to the university. According to Janota, all Chicago news stations will be covering the event, along with the nationally recognized news agency the Associated Press.
Roosevelt students are given the opportunity to attend all of the week’s events free of charge.

Lynn Weiner, University Historian, advises students to “come early and often.” She says that while the conference features many distinguished professionals, there are fewer speakers than the previous year, so attendance at the panels is expected to be near full.

“Keep an open mind as you listen to the different points of view,” she said, “Weigh the information that you receive and use it to learn to think for yourself. Because we’re going to have a lot of really interesting conversations about what the American Dream truly means.”

Political Science Professor Andrew Trees is giving his students the week off of classes during the conference so they have more opportunities to attend the talks.

When asked why he thought attending the lectures was beneficial for his students, he emphasized the conference’s diverse array of perspectives and how there is a lecture worth attending for all types of students.

“The caliber of the speakers at this year’s event offers an incredible opportunity for students. For an aspiring lawyer, what could be more exciting than being able to hear from a sitting Supreme Court justice? For an economist or someone interested in finance, Professor Tyler Cowen has perhaps the leading economics blog in the country… I think everyone in the Roosevelt community who attends will find himself or herself enlightened and entertained by the conference,” Trees said.

For more information on the American Dream Conference, you may visit the university’s website.

Advertisements