SGA discusses outreach initiatives

sga-4

Photo by Dominic Gwinn

By Dominic Gwinn
Staff Reporter

Roosevelt’s Student Government Association held a meeting on Thursday, November 30 to discuss outreach initiatives for the forthcoming Spring 2017 semester. Students proposed several ideas aimed at increasing participation in SGA, and SGA’s presence throughout the university.

Suggestions included changing SGA meeting times to better accommodate students, recruitment initiatives, as well as the possibility of a liaison to work directly with student organizations on Roosevelt’s Chicago campus.

“As an organization, those of us on SGA are working towards bringing more student voices and perspectives into our assembly meetings,” said Brandon Glynn, SGA Chairman of Campus Life. “Reaching out and inviting other student organizations to have representation will allow for us to better advocate for the student body and in turn build up SGA’s presence as a resource for the university.”

Several organizations have expressed their own concerns over a lack of student participation in organizations this semester. Though Roosevelt historically has not had a student population comparable in size to other universities throughout Chicagoland, student registration has been down at universities throughout city this past year, including Roosevelt.

“For now our numbers are few,” said SGA President Nathan Stoll. “But we’re currently composed of a small group of highly dedicated students who care about advocating for student interests and fighting for what the students want.”

Student groups like the Black Student Union and Association of Latin American Students, or fraternities like Alpha Phi Omega and Alpha Gamma Delta, all represent unique student interests, says Stoll, and student government serves to aid students by helping them get their voices heard.

“SGA is for the students,” said Stoll. “We are always looking for students who want to make a difference on campus or advocate for their own rights. We are changing things up a bit from the past, and our tomorrow holds the hope of finding new methods to best serve the purpose we’ve had since our beginning.”

Advertisements