Cue the Charlie Brown music, it’s time for the holidays
By Tom Cicero
What better place to be for the holidays than the beautifully decorated city of Chicago. Check out these must-do holiday activities around the city.
10. Check out the Chicago Theater on State Street. There are dozens of shows between the months of December and January, and the venue is very oldschool and classy. A great place to take in some good tunes as well as some history.
9. If you want to be really touristy, you can always check out the bean in Millenium Park. I’d say it looks even better in winter with all the lights they have going and the effect of the snow.
8. Christkindlmarket at Daley Plaza is a great place to take in aspects of all the different holidays. The market has a bunch of different shops featuring different holidays.
7. If you’re in Lincoln Park, make sure to head over to the Lincoln Park Zoo any Friday, Saturday or Sunday to check out the Zoo Lights display. A mixture of cute animals and holiday spirit, could it get any better?
6. The coolest museum in the entire city, the Museum of Science and Industry, has an exhibit going through January 5 called “Christmas Around the World” and is about, you guessed it, showcasing Christmas around the world. Also check out the Tornado simulator, it’s awesome.
5. Winter Wonderfest is currently underway at Navy Pier through January 12, which includes indoor ice skating and a ferris wheel. Indoor ice skating: for the win.
4. If you’re feeling really nostalgic, you can always swing by the Auditorium Theatre (with tickets, of course) to check out Joffrey Ballet’s rendition of “The Nutcracker.” You’ll be humming those tunes for months to come.
3. One of the best orchestras in the world, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, is holding its annual “Decking the Halls: Welcome Yule” again this year. If you’re into music at all, definitely check this one out. Did I mention they were world-renowned?
2. Strap on your walking boots, (Where is Jessica Simpson when you need her!) and grab your best friend’s credit card. It’s time to shop. Chicago is known as one of the best cities to shop in, and during the holidays it’s even better. The Magnificent Mile is decked out with lights everywhere, as well as shops. Who needs professional therapists when retail therapy works just as well!*
*Retail therapy has not been proven to increase long-term happiness.
1. What’s the most important thing in the world? If you said getting tickets for Justin Bieber, you were reading my mind. In all seriousness though, make sure to spend some time with your family. Millions of people around the world don’t have the luxury of being together with their family for the holidays, so if you get the chance, make sure to capitalize on it. Buy your parents a gift, tell your siblings you love them, play with your cat. After all, isn’t that what the holidays are all about? (Playing with your cat that is, not the other two.)